COVID-19 and oral and dental care Awareness Information
Poor oral hygiene and severity of COVID-19 disease are linked. The causative agent of severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2) finds a heavenly welcome to infect respiratory tracts through oral cavity. It is not unlikely that bacterial load in the mouth provides a means for the SARS-CoV-2 to reach its destination in the lung. There is a possibility of aspirating oral secretions contianing several oral pathogens such as Porphyromonas gingivalis, Fusobacterium nucleatum, and Prevotella intermedia entering the lungs and facilitate SARS-CoV2 to infect lung cells.
Until and unless this has a solid molecular evidence, oral hygiene would play a role in the transmission of the virus.
Scientific publications on COVID-19 published by MySOMOI members
- Potential benefits of combination of Nigella sativa and Zn supplements to treat COVID-19. J Herb Med. 2020 Oct
- Impact of COVID-19 on periodontal therapy: An overview. J Oral Res. 2020; Covid-19. S2(1):10-13.
- Can Zn Be a Critical Element in COVID-19 Treatment? Biol Trae Elem Res. 2020 May
Articles/Columns on COVID-19 by/with MySOMOI Members
- Strengthened immunity the secret to healthy living. New Straits Times. 19 May 2020
- COVID-19: Does a child die of hunger every day? Astro Awani. 16 May 2020
- The new normal in academia. New Straits Times. 16 May 2020
- How safe are we at dental clinics during COVID-19 pandemic? Astro Awani. 10 May 2020
- A choice between death by COVID-19 or famine. The Daily Star. 10 May 2020
- Faith: Science vs Religion. The New Nation. 05 May 2020
- Cannot afford to waste food anymore post-COVID. Daily Express. 03 May 2020
- Many benefits of having Ramadan during MCO. New Straits Times. 01 May 2020
- Don’t ignore oral hygiene. The Sun Daily. 29 April 2020
- Ramadan in COVID-19 Pandemic. Astro Awani. 27 April 2020
- Stay home, boost your immunity and stay safe. Astro Awani. 21 April 2020
- Breaking the chain of Covid-19. The Daily Star. 06 April 2020
- COVID-19: Science vs. Politics. Bangla News 24.com. 02 April 2020
- Elak komplikasi lebih teruk. Sistem imunisasi kanak-kanak lemah, perlu lebih berwaspada Berita Harian. 17 Feb 2020
- Local scientists need to clarify coronavirus outbreaks. Berita Harian Online. 27 Jan 2020